One of David and Randall’s oyster collaborators, Dr. Jeb Byers, was recently featured in a lengthy segment on Georgia Public television’s Georgia Outdoors. The episode is about crabs in general, but at 8:28 in they take a look at the large cage experiment that Randall, David, and Jeb, along with Dr. Jon Grabowski and Dr. Mike Piehler at UNC, conducted last summer. You see a little more of the cages being filled than you do in Testing the Ecology of Fear, which covers the oyster study in Florida to that point and which was into the editing process as they set up the experiment. The video is not available for embedding, so click on the link below to watch.
Search In the Grass, On the Reef
In the Grass, On the Reef, In Your Inbox
If you do not receive a verification e-mail, check your spam folder.
Explore Our Coasts
Dr. David Kimbro and Dr. Randall Hughes work to unlock the secrets of the intertidal ecosystems that make up our coasts. In a series of short videos, they explore the inner workings of salt marshes, oyster reefs, and seagrass beds as well as the ways in which we enjoy what they offer us. Join us as we kayak, snorkel, and wade the wet and wild of the Forgotten Coast.
In the Grass, On the Reef is funded by the National Science Foundation.
One time "In the Grass..." contributor and Apalachicola author Dawn Evans Radford has posted the short story "Oyster Hound," about a dog with a "gormay nose for fat juicy oysters..."
Read the story on Apalachicolabay.com.
Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance
Follow IGOR on Twitter
For photos and updates from the field, new videos and more, follow In the Grass, On the Reef at @wfsuIGOR.
- FSU Coastal & Marine Lab
- WFSU SciGirls Blog
- Saturday at the Sea
- Apalachicola National Estuarine Research Reserve
- St. Joseph Bay Buffer Preserve
- St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge
- Matanzas Estuarine Research Reserve
- Choctowhatchee Basin Alliance
- The Randall Hughes Lab
- The David Kimbro Lab
- Northeastern Marine Science Center
Click an Icon!
The icons in the rounded boxes at the top of every post let you know where they fit within the "Master Plan" of this site. Click them to find out what they mean. For some more tips on getting the most out of your "In the Grass, On the Reef" experience, click here.
Sort by Habitat/ Category
- Video: Turtles, Octopus, & Crabs at the Gulf Specimen Lab
- (Video) RiverTrek 2: The Apalachicola’s Bluffs and Tupelo Swamps
- Planning Your Own Apalachicola River Kayak Camping Adventure
- (Video) RiverTrek Part 1: Garden of Eden, Apalachicola River
- Soccer Balls, Bucky Balls, #sciooceans, & Purple Gallinules
Archives by Date