Search In the Grass, On the Reef
In the Grass, On the Reef, In Your Inbox
If you do not receive a verification e-mail, check your spam folder.
Explore Our Coasts
Dr. David Kimbro and Dr. Randall Hughes work to unlock the secrets of the intertidal ecosystems that make up our coasts. In a series of short videos, they explore the inner workings of salt marshes, oyster reefs, and seagrass beds as well as the ways in which we enjoy what they offer us. Join us as we kayak, snorkel, and wade the wet and wild of the Forgotten Coast.
In the Grass, On the Reef is funded by the National Science Foundation.
Lake Lafayette Algae Bloom
WFSU-FM's Lynn Hatter reports on an algae bloom in Tallahassee's Lake Lafayette. FWC Biologist Mike Hill suspects fertilizer being used in the surrounding Piney Z. neighborhood is the cause. He suggests an education campaign on fertilizer use might help the problem. Listen to Lynn's story here.
Mike showed us around Lake Lafayette on a recent EcoAdventure. Watch that video here.
Earlier this year, Dr. David Kimbro broke down the natural nutrient cycle, and how man made synthetic fertilizers accelerate the growth of algae in waterways, often with deadly consequences to marine life. Learn more here.
Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance
Follow IGOR on Twitter
For photos and updates from the field, new videos and more, follow In the Grass, On the Reef at @wfsuIGOR.
- FSU Coastal & Marine Lab
- WFSU SciGirls Blog
- Saturday at the Sea
- Apalachicola National Estuarine Research Reserve
- St. Joseph Bay Buffer Preserve
- St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge
- Matanzas Estuarine Research Reserve
- Choctowhatchee Basin Alliance
- The Randall Hughes Lab
- The David Kimbro Lab
- Northeastern Marine Science Center
Click an Icon!
The icons in the rounded boxes at the top of every post let you know where they fit within the "Master Plan" of this site. Click them to find out what they mean. For some more tips on getting the most out of your "In the Grass, On the Reef" experience, click here.
Sort by Habitat/ Category
- Video: Cycling North Florida’s Capital City to the Sea Trail
- Video: Turtles, Octopus, & Crabs at the Gulf Specimen Lab
- (Video) RiverTrek 2: The Apalachicola’s Bluffs and Tupelo Swamps
- Planning Your Own Apalachicola River Kayak Camping Adventure
- (Video) RiverTrek Part 1: Garden of Eden, Apalachicola River
Archives by Date