SportsAbility Alliance: Big Kahuna- Kayak Race
2 Races | Many ways to participate
Instead of teams of people in a big canoe, single paddlers in kayaks will compete for the best time. All racers will be video recorded, which will be streamed at a later date. Winners will be announced on the video stream.
There will be 2 categories of races:
- Big Kahuna (“Big Chief”) race – for organizations and groups
- Big Kāpena (“Big Captain”) race – for individuals
Big Kahuna Race
Groups and organizations can raise $500 as a team to sponsor a “champion” (a single paddler) to race on their behalf. This can be someone chosen by the group or we can find someone for you.
Group/Organization names will be announced as part of the race video. The winning organization/group will be crowned the Big Kahuna.
Big Kāpena Race
Individuals who want to participate, unaffiliated with a group or organization, can donate $50 to enter the race. The winning individual will be crowned the Big Kāpena.
NOTE: Both Big Kahuna and Big Kāpena racers can race in honor of someone, just indicate it on your sign up form.
Ways to Participate
- Help a group or organization raise the sponsorship funds
- Volunteer as a champion for a group
- Enter the Big Kāpena race as an individual
- Make a donation without entering a race
- Share this event with friends and family to help us spread awareness
Our goal is that this new format helps keep participants and staff safe while encouraging more people to participate, even beyond the Tallahassee area (either in sponsoring a racer or driving to Tallahassee to race themselves).