The Super WHY! Summer Reading Camp is a breakthrough three-week-long program that invites beginning readers to practice key reading skills and transform into “Super Readers”. The camp was created to teach pre-reading skills to rising kindergarteners and first graders by viewing a clip of the Super WHY! television series each morning and completing corresponding games, crafts and activities throughout the day. This recipe for learning has been a huge success!
We are celebrating 10 years of Super Why Summer Reading Camps with our community this year! With our local Early Learning Coalition of the Big Bend (ELCBB) taking a stronger leadership role, 5 Super Why Summer Reading Camps occurred in Leon, Gadsden and Wakulla County PreK centers this July!
The ELCBB is so pleased with the results that these camps have been producing, that they are moving the program to be a part of their quality initiative. We are so proud to be a part of supporting the pre-literacy skills of little ones in our community.
WFSU is proud to partner with the Early Learning Coalition of the Big Bend once again this summer, bringing adventures in pre-literacy to 10 local preschools! These are just a few of the many reasons this camp is so terrific:
- Rising PreK students get to have a wonderful, certified and experienced Leon County Public School teacher to facilitate SWSRC and have either learning or reinforcing pre-literacy skills in a terrific fun way!
- PreK teachers get to have a wonderful, certified and experienced Leon County Public School teacher to teach in their school, and model best practices!
- Public School teachers have the chance to see some of the schools that their future students have learned their basics!
- The benefits to WFSU Education with this amazing program continuing are too numerous to list, but the past 9 years of SWSRC implementation has demonstrated again and again, that students love it and can learn from it!
- The ELCBB has the opportunity to bring this program to students that need an extra boost prior to entering the new world of Kindergarten! This ELC partnership camp program is taking place at the following schools this summer:
- All About Me Child Care Center
- Tallahassee Memorial Child Care Center
- Dreams Day Care Center
- Gingerbread Christrian Academy
- LDM Academy
- Happy Time
- Just Like Angels
- Miracles in Me I
- The Teaching Tree
- Early Years Child Development
WFSU partnered with the Early Learning Coalition of the Big Bend on a brand new educational experiment with 4 local preschools: LDM Academy, Kids Village, New Center for Enrichment for Children & Horizons Unlimited. We were delighted with the learning gains and look forward to continuing this work in 2017 and beyond.
Take time to look through the 2016 camp report.
WFSU was delighted to host two Super Why! Summer Reading Camps in the summer of 2015. The first was offered at Jefferson Elementary School and was sponsored by WFSU’s Ready to Learn Grant. Read the Jefferson County WFSU Super Why! Camp 2015 report.
The Second was offered at Chattahoochee Elementary School in Gadsden County and was sponsored by Envision Credit Union. We are so excited that Envision Credit Union became part of this wonderful project and we thank them so much for their support. Read the Chattahoochee WFSU Super Why! Camp 2015 report.
Super WHY! Summer Camp 2014 met mornings, Monday through Thursday, June 16th – 26th and July 7th -10th. View the following reports from the project: </P
WFSU and Super Why! Reading Camps had a fantastic year! In 2013, WFSU teamed up for the 2nd time with United Way of the Big Bend and 12 Leon County Title 1 Schools. The following schools participated in the Super WHY summer reading camp:
- Bond Elementary
- Astoria Park Elementary
- Sabal Palm Elementary
- Ruediger Elementary
- Riley Elementary
- Ft. Braden Elementary
- Gretchen Everhart School
- Hartsfield Elementary
- Apalachee Tapestry Elementary
- Oak Ridge Elementary
- Pineview Elementary
- Woodville Elementary.
These schools had great success with the Super WHY Summer Reading Camp – just take a look at the research that has been completed.
WFSU is also very excited to have a new partnership with two Kingdom Life Pre-schools. These centers will be using the Super Why! Camp Curriculum all year long as part of their pre-literacy program.
Read the WFSU Super Why! Reading Camp 2013 Pre/Post-Assessment Analysis (PDF).
- Super Why! Facebook Fan Page
- 2016 WFSU Super Why! camp photos
- 2014 WFSU Super Why! camp photos
- 2013 WFSU Super Why! camp photos